[ubuntu-uk] Bloomin' ATI and Linux....

Chris Rowson christopherrowson at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 21:14:21 BST 2009

> My Dell D600 Latitude laptop runs an "ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV250
> [Mobility FireGL 9000]" and I have always suffered with poor
> performance. Unfortunately I never get to the bottom of it. I really
> should try and get to a LUG meeting one day see if someone who knows
> what they are doing can improve it.
>
> But with 9.04 (well and others I have tried) I always get full compix
> effects, wobbly windows etc on the fresh install but it seems almost
> straight away to degrade and within the same day I seem to loose the
> ability to have any effects. Now (less than a week into a fresh clean
> install) I cannot enable any effects.
>
> Scrolling web pages can get very cumbersome. Just minimising windows can
> be a bit slow.
>
> I seem to be using the vesa driver. I tried the fglrx but it broke...so
> I will just leave it as it is for now.
>
> Jon

Hi Jon,

Just out of interest, have you tried adding the 'CPU Frequency Scaling
Monitor' object to your panel? If not, add it and change the setting to
'performance'.

One strange habit I've found that Ubuntu has is that it sets the power
management setting on my laptop (perhaps all laptops?) to 'Powersave' by
default restricting the CPU speed to 800Mhz.

Chris