[ubuntu-uk] Bloomin' ATI and Linux....

Jon Reynolds maillist at jcrdevelopments.com
Thu Apr 30 17:46:25 BST 2009

My Dell D600 Latitude laptop runs an "ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV250
[Mobility FireGL 9000]" and I have always suffered with poor
performance. Unfortunately I never get to the bottom of it. I really
should try and get to a LUG meeting one day see if someone who knows
what they are doing can improve it.

But with 9.04 (well and others I have tried) I always get full compix
effects, wobbly windows etc on the fresh install but it seems almost
straight away to degrade and within the same day I seem to loose the
ability to have any effects. Now (less than a week into a fresh clean
install) I cannot enable any effects.

Scrolling web pages can get very cumbersome. Just minimising windows can
be a bit slow.

I seem to be using the vesa driver. I tried the fglrx but it broke...so
I will just leave it as it is for now.

Jon