[ubuntu-uk] Banshee (& music players generally)

Rowan Berkeley rowan.berkeley at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 28 19:20:41 BST 2009

In my own case, virtually all my music files are labelled and tagged
according to my own system, which doesn't correspond to anybody's
database, so it's a waste of time, and in any case they are mainly grey
labels, demos, unreleased tracks, and such. But anyone with a big
library of ripped commercial albums might find this interesting, since
the process of cover-art-seeking is non-voluntary and starts as soon as
you populate Banshee's library: "Where does Banshee get its cover art?
Banshee looks first in the audio file itself for embedded artwork, then
in the folder the file is in, then from Rhapsody, then Amazon, then
finally Last.fm." RealNetworks acquired Rhapsody on Aug 3 2003. The
Rhapsody service was briefly known as RealRhapsody shortly after the
acquisition, but has since shortened back to Rhapsody. Downloaded files
come with restrictions on their use, enforced by Helix, RealNetworks'
version of digital rights management. Thus, Banshee is reporting the
entire contents of your music collection to a DRM enforcement agency.