[ubuntu-uk] Bloomin' ATI and Linux....

Seif Attar iam at seifattar.net
Tue Apr 28 10:58:59 BST 2009

Hello,

On Sun, 2009-04-26 at 15:59 +0100, Chris Rowson wrote:
>         2009/4/26 Chris Rowson <christopherrowson at gmail.com>
>
>                 I have a laptop (less than a year old) with an ATI
>                 Radeon X1200 series graphics chip in it.
>
>                 After having installed Jaunty, I was pleased to see
>                 that suspend and resume worked (using the Open Source)
>                 drivers. Unfortunately however 3D acceleration is
>                 totally miserable. Google Earth runs like a proverbial
>                 pile of pants....
>
>                 Doing a bit of research, I notice that ATI has
>                 depreciated support for X1200 series cards so that
>                 there are no proprietary drivers available for Jaunty
>                 (although suspend/resume never worked with the
>                 proprietary drivers anyway!).
>
>                 So, it looks like a choice of either stay with an
>                 older version of Ubuntu with proprietary driver
>                 support (but loose the ability to suspend/resume) or
>                 stick with Jaunty, but loose 3D acceleration features
>                 because of the pretty poor Open Source drivers.
>
>                 Sometimes I wonder why I bother!
>
>                 Chris
>

>                 --
>
>                 ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com
>

>         Chris,
>
>         I'm in the process of re-installing intrepid now, as the
>         machine I run my media centre (boxee) on has an old ATI Radeon
>         9600 card in it. This card *should* be fine with both 2D and
>         3D but it isn't, so I'm downgrading until I get my hands on a
>         newer (probably nvidia) card - although I appreciate that
>         isn't an option for you laptop!
>
>         From what I can see, the problem is an incompatability in Xorg
>         1.6 (in Jaunty) and the Proprietory fglrx drivers that stop me
>         from being able to use the proprietory drivers.
>         Steve Garton
>         sheepeatingtaz.co.uk
>

> It looks like AMD are trying to concentrate on their most recent
> hardware:
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_r500_legacy&num=1
>
> 'Tis rather irritating that the laptop I have isn't actually that old
> though! (although it is a basic cheapy business model).
>
> Perhaps one day in the future the Open Source drivers will get bette
>                 --
>
>                 ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com
>

> r now that AMD has released more code and documentation on ATI kit to
> the community.
>
> I do know what you mean Tony about making a stand against a monopoly
> market but it sure is irritating sometimes! ;-) Don't get me wrong, I
> love Linux on the server, but sometimes the desktop drives me round
> the twist lol! Perhaps I should save up and invest at some point in an
> Ubuntu certified/reccomended laptop.

I have a laptop with an ATI 200m xpress video card, I tried upgrading to
Jaunty, but before the upgrade I got a message the my hardware will not
work on Jaunty (I had mixed feelings of disappointment and happiness
that it actually warned me!), so the fglrx drivers won't work, but how
will this affect me? i don't care much about 3d stuff, so I am willing
to give that up, but will my resolution be correct? and what about XV
video? has anyone here had any experience with this?

I was shocked that ATI dropped support for this card, as I don't
consider my laptop old (well yeah, I bought it 3 years ago, but i still
think of it as new and up to spec :)

Peace,
Seif