[ubuntu-uk] jaunty upgrade safe enough for me?

Harry Rickards hrickards at l33tmyst.com
Sat Apr 25 15:02:45 BST 2009

Farran Lee wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-04-25 at 14:14 +0100, Christopher Dalby wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 01:38:10PM +0100, Farran Lee wrote:
>> > hi all
>> > sorry to sound like I'm doubting Jaunty... I'm not, it's just I'm wary
>> > for a few reasons:
>> >
>> > - I've had lots of trouble with upgrades before
>> > - my ubuntu currently installed has a few (several) weird issues
>> > - I'm about to start exams
>> >
>> > So, would you say it's safe and stable enough for me to just click
>> > 'upgrade' and leave it? Perhaps there are files I could pastebin for you
>> > to check out, to see if my system will throw up errors?
>> > Sorry to be awkward :P I just don't have the time for a broken computer,
>> > yet I really would like to upgrade it
>> >
>> > thanks :)
>>
>> I only upgrade via a fresh install from one LTS to another.... Im on
>> Hardy Heron 8.0.4.2, and previously on Dapper Drake.... I like
>> stability!
>>
>> Besides, I use Fluxbox with mainly text/console apps, so the latest
>> and greatest doesn't really bother me...
>>
>> Sometimes it is better to wait and see how a new distro works out and
>> wait for the bugs to be ironed out....especially if you are on your
>> main and/or only desktop.
>>

>> RoboNuggie
>>

> Welcome to the lists, Chris/RoboNuggie! :P
> yeash, this is my only desktop, I'm looking to get a laptop soon and I
> was gunna have a triple-linux boot, but I never got round to it... I
> guess that the safest option atm is just to wait. I was hopeful that
> perhaps people knew if the installer had some kind of fail-safe that
> fixed broken installations hehe... hmm I can wait. I want to play with
> the new version, but I guess that's also a bad idea during exams. Cos
> then I won't revise, and I'll be sat in the exam hall thinking about the
> new things Ubuntu does - not good :)

I hate to be unnecessarily picky, but would it be possible for you to
use plain text instead of HTML emails? You can find a guide on how-to do
that with Evolution (what I think is your mail program from the message
source) at http://email.about.com/cs/evolutiontips/qt/et070303.htm.

- --
Many thanks
Harry Rickards (a.k.a l33tmyst)