[ubuntu-uk] jaunty available

mac ammonius.grammaticus at gmx.co.uk
Sat Apr 25 06:24:26 BST 2009

Robert Flatters wrote:
> downloaded a copy last night and installed it on two machine tonight. First
> impression are good, all though ive come across some small issues with
> window message screens freezing

I upgraded a couple of machines yesterday, and was also impressed with
Jaunty, which looks better in all sorts of subtle ways - the fonts, the
artwork, etc.

One thing I did struggle with on my wifi-connected laptop was a
recurrence of the ancient, irritating, and still-unfixed bug that causes
CIFS shares to be disconnected before they are unmounted.  With Gutsy,
Hardy and Intrepid, I'd successfully used the 'umountcifs' script that's
much-applauded on the forum;  but that seems to have stopped working for
Jaunty.  The only way I can now shut down the machine without generating
a five minute delay while the CIFS VFS failure times out is to remove
the old 'umountcifs' fix, and change the rc0.d and rc6.d priorities thus:

K01umountnfs.sh
K02gdm
K03usplash

I don't see why it's necessary to have umountnfs.sh at K01 -- you'd
expect that the historic fixes that raise the priority of the CIFS
unmount, or lower the priority of the network interface shutdown, or
otherwise ensure that the shares unmount before the network closes,
would still work.  But they don't.

Have the devs changed something in Jaunty about how the init.d / rc
stuff works?

mac