[ubuntu-uk] jaunty available / USB flash

Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Apr 25 00:05:40 BST 2009

Hi David

It's a pity UNR is only available as an image.  The image writer just
dd's the data to the USB.  The USB startup disk creator is more clever
because when it copies an iso you can also have a persistent storage
area on the stick.

I did a lot of testing on my EEEPC with the Beta, the RC and the final
release and I found I had to keep setting up the wifi and reinstalling
Skype.  I made it a bit easier by having a txt file containing my WEP
key and a copy of the Skype deb file on a 4GB card I keep in the SD
slot. That may be a way you can save some settings.

I've now installed the UNR and its a great improvement on the old
Xandros system.  The install only took about 30 mins but was a bit hairy
on my 7" screen as all the buttons on the installer screens were off the
bottom of the screen with no way to resize the screens or move them up.
It just had to guess that the Next button had focus and hit return.  I
suppose I ought to post a bug report for it.

Tony