[ubuntu-uk] Using rsync (or something) to remotely backup a windows drive

Samuel Toogood sam_toogood at athsoc.org.uk
Fri Apr 24 13:03:58 BST 2009

doug livesey <biot023 at gmail.com> wrote
> Hi -- I have a drive that gets a weekly backup of a Windows network
stored to it, and I would like to have that backed up in turn remotely.

When you say 'a drive', is that on a windows box, or a linux box or a NAS?
> To that end, I have an IP address that I wish to sync it to, and can
setup any machine/OS behind it that I want to.
> What I was hoping to do was to have the backup drive synced each week, in
a manner similar to TimeMachine's, so that after an initial sync, only the
changes get sent, but that allows us to access any week's synced backup
image if needed (TM lets you browse them amazingly, but as long as it could
be done, it wouldn't have to be that posh).

> My thoughts so far have been to setup a linux box running rsync to
remotely access the backup drive, for the following reasons:
> 1) I beleive that rsync has the functionality I require (though I could
be wrong).
> 2) If our Windows network gets taken out by a virus or something, having
the backup be on a different OS would provide extra security.
> 3) I'm more confident in setting this up on a linux machine than a
Windows one (though still not exactly cocky about it).

> I'd really appreciate any advice that folks could give me on this -- am I
wrong in my ideas? would this even work? are there any hideous pitfalls
awaiting me? is there a better way to do it? etc.

> Cheers for any & all input,
>    Doug.
I'd suggest rsnapshot, which uses rsync and allows you to browse
incremental backups as though they are full. If you're backing from a
windows box, DeltaCopy looks like it is what you want
(http://www.aboutmyip.com/AboutMyXApp/DeltaCopy.jsp) though i've not used
it personally.

HTH,

Sam