[ubuntu-uk] Server Power Management

Ian Pascoe softy.lofty.ilp at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 19 17:50:07 BST 2009

Hi Folks

Some thoughts please.

I'm trying to find a way to automajically power up and down my home server
as both my partner and I commute to work each day, and most weekend daytimes
we're flitting in and out so wouldn't be using the home file and print
server until the evenings.

I have a timer on my router which works well for us, but the server is a bit
of a headache.  I don't want to leave it on whilst we're not there so am
looking for a way to be able to turn it on and off at specified times.

I'm thinking that a Krone job could be used to turn it off, but don't know
which commands to use to ensure that it shuts down properly.  I suspect that
for turning on, I need to set something in the BIOS so that as soon as the
power is turned on by the timer, the server comes up too.

The server is currently an old P5 mini tower and draws quite a current, by
comparison to the Viglen MPC-L for example, and it seems rather silly to
have it on when there's no use for it. - I have no need at present to
remotely access the server.

It's currently running Ubuntu Server 8.10 with the SAMBA file / printer
server.

Cheers

Ian