[ubuntu-uk] [OT] We're Linux video - winner announced

Philip Wyett philwyett at gmx.com
Mon Apr 13 10:21:05 BST 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-13 at 10:00 +0100, Harry Rickards wrote:

> On 13 Apr 2009, at 09:30, Philip Wyett <philwyett at gmx.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2009-04-13 at 08:54 +0100, Sean Miller wrote:
> >> On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 10:22 PM, Ben Crisford <bencrisford at yahoo.co.uk
> >>
> >> Like you, I enjoyed the winning one but wasn't too keen on the Origin
> >> one.  Too dark and gloomy, whereas the winner was light and airy and
> >> "fresh".
> >>
> >> Sean
> >>

> > <Rant coming> :-D
> >
> > I would like to offer opinion on these videos, but as a user who
> > doesn't
> > use proprietary formats - I'm screwed!
> >
> > - All videos viewable online using flash.
> > - The winning entry is available for download as a Windows Media
> > Video.
> >  Oh and an ogg but the file is a dud at 0x0 resolution - Have fun
> >  getting totem (or your player of choice) to play that one. ;-)
> > - Runner up has no download version.
> > - The third place video is available as a MOV.
> >
> > Well done to the Linux Foundation - We're Linux ay? :-(
> >
> > <Rant over>
> >
> > Happy Easter holidays to all.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Phil
> >

> The ogg file for the first option plays fine in VLC for me; I don't
> know whether it's been updated.
>
> Thanks
> Harry

Hi Harry,

The file is still the same.

The file looks a bit iffy looking at the ogginfo output below. This
video certainly will not play for me with totem on Ubuntu 8.04. I will
try another machine later.

Regards

Phil

Note: Stream 1 has serial number 0, which is legal but may cause
problems with some tools.
New logical stream (#1, serial: 00000000): type theora
New logical stream (#2, serial: 00000001): type vorbis
Warning: Theora stream 1 does not have headers correctly framed.
Terminal header page contains additional packets or has non-zero
granulepos
Theora headers parsed for stream 1, information follows...
Version: 3.2.0
Vendor: Xiph.Org libTheora I 20060526 3 2 0
Width: 720
Height: 576
Total image: 720 by 576, crop offset (0, 0)
Framerate 23976/1000 (23.98 fps)
Pixel aspect ratio 1:1 (1:1.000000)
Frame aspect 4:3
Colourspace unspecified
Pixel format 4:2:0
Target bitrate: 0 kbps
Nominal quality setting (0-63): 44
Vorbis headers parsed for stream 2, information follows...
Version: 0
Vendor: Xiph.Org libVorbis I 20050304
Channels: 2
Rate: 48000