[ubuntu-uk] nvidia graphics drivers

Farran Lee fazzy.baboon at ntlworld.com
Fri Apr 10 02:40:00 BST 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-10 at 01:08 +0100, Farran Lee wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-04-09 at 23:22 +0100, Michael G Fletcher wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 7:50 PM, Farran Lee <fazzy.baboon at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> > > the graphics bit has got stupid now... different packages that depend on
> > > each other, or aren't listed as conflicting, are trying to remove each
> > > other. I have nvidia-180-kernel-source, nvidia-settings, nvidia-xconfig,
> > > nvidia-180-modaliases and xserver-xorg-video-nv installed. But I think I
> > > need nvidia-glx-180. Which tries to remove nvidia-xconfig, which I obviously
> > > need.
> > >
> > > annnny ideas? Thanks
> >
> > Hi Farran, things seem to be very weird on your system.  I use the
> > hardware drivers program, under System -> Administration -> Hardware
> > Drivers and have never had any troubles.   have you tried that route?
> >
> > I'm also still confused about your kernel numbers - do you perhaps
> > have the proposed updates turned on?
> >
> > let's ignore that and just try the nvidia drivers for now :-)
> >

> > --
> > _________________________________
> > Michael Fletcher
> >
> > Visit my website here - http://www.mgfletcher.com/blog
> > Interested in Linux? Then visit - http://www.ilovemylinux.com
> >

> thanks, but yeah I've tried everything I can find, including the
> drivers from their website (which actually seem to be only slightly
> upstream from the ones in the repos). It was actually when i installed
> the driver from their website that it broke. I have used jockey, envy,
> repos and nvidia website. I have even used three different versions of
> the driver (which weirdly, jockey and envy show different versions as
> the recommended one).
> And unfortunately,  it would appear that the main reason things are
> not configuring correctly is the kernel... :-/ Everything to do with
> it returns an error. Yeah I do have proposed turned on, shouldn't I? I
> always have done, since *-proposed was an option.
>
> sorry to  be awkward...
> Thanks :)
> ===================================
> Farran Lee
> I'm only 16 :P

quick update: drs305 helped me on the forums with the kernel bit...
don't know what the issue was, but removing the .postinst file
from /var/boot/info and reinstalling linux-image did the trick :D
I thought perhaps that would mean that the graphics driver would install
properly.
And... it does!
But that's all it does. It doesn't work at all :(

still open for thoughts :p cheers