[ubuntu-uk] remote accessing an ubuntu machine (vnc or similar)

Neil Greenwood neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 20:15:12 BST 2009

2009/4/9 alan c <aeclist at candt.waitrose.com>:
> Neil Greenwood wrote:
>> 2009/4/8 alan c <aeclist at candt.waitrose.com>:
>>> Gitso:
> [...]
>>> I have concluded that security issues are acceptable as long as
> [...]
>>> 2) Â the supportee does not type anything into the screen which is
>>> confidential such as credit card number, during a session, since
>>> credit card number is shown on the screen which is shown visibly
>>>
>>> I also conclude that if the supportee types in their password
>>> themselves it is ok because all that is shown on screen is dots, and
>>> their password keystrokes are not transmitted to my end, only dots.
>
> [...]
>
>> I wouldn't agree with the second conclusion. Have you seen the image
>> recognition stuff the spammers have for cracking captchas?
>
> Confusion. I am not sure I understand what you do not agree with here.
> I think I said that as long as confidential numbers and text do *not*
> appear on screen at all, then the confidential information is safe,
> because it is not sent across the stream. Which seems to be what your
> point also says?

Sorry Alan, I misread your comment.

When you said the password appeared as dots, I thought you meant the
pixels making up the letters! I now understand, and agree that - as
long as no confidential info is entered - it should be safe.

I'd prefer to run it over ssh, but I haven't looked at gitso (yet), so
I'm not sure if that's possible. It sounds like an interesting
solution though.

Cofion,
Neil.