[ubuntu-uk] Boot hangs loading tg3 module

Tony Travis a.travis at abdn.ac.uk
Thu Apr 9 15:00:15 BST 2009

Tony Travis wrote:
> Hello, I'm struggling to boot Ubuntu 8.04 or 8.10 on an IWill Zmaxd2:
> The kernel hangs after loading the tg3 (Broadcom) driver module. There
> are lots of reports about problems with the tg3 module on the web but,
> so far, none of the suggested fixes works for me. My Zmaxd2 boots fine
> under Ubuntu 6.06...
>
> I'd be grateful for any ideas - I'm currently downloading 9.04 ;-)

In answer to my own question: It was because I fitted an HP PCI-X NIC
with the Broadcom chip that causes problems booting Ubuntu on some HP
laptops. I've removed it, and my Zmaxd2 is running Bio-Linux 5.0 now!

Bye,

	Tony.
--
Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Rowett Institute of Nutrition
and Health, Greenburn Road, Bucksburn, Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK