[ubuntu-uk] kernel 12->13->14 ??

Robert McWilliam rmcw at allmail.net
Wed Apr 8 00:02:53 BST 2009

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 04:35:44PM +0100, Farran Lee wrote:

> er here: http://pastebin.com/f1530e2cf

OK, I'm only guessing here. I don't know much about how update-grub
actually works, but...

You've got "default saved" in there with "savedefault=false" and
"updatedefaultentry=true". I think update-grub is trying to calculate
a new default entry from that and finding it can't do maths on the
string "saved". You might get update-grub to run cleanly if you set
"updatedefaultentry=false" but you get no guarantees what the default
will be then.

My set up here (which would have been default at one time - I think
this machine had 8.04 installed and then upgraded to 8.10 - I've no
idea if the defaults have changed) has "default 0" and both
savedefault and  updatedefaultentry are set to false. This gives the
most recent kernel as the default (this might not work on a dual boot
system - I can't remember if other OSs go before or after the kernel
list for Ubuntu).

I edited your paste bin entry to mirror my setup:
http://pastebin.com/m20346f7f

Disclaimer: I know nothing about your system and have only a vague
grasp of how grub works. Using this config is at your own risk and
might render your system unbootable and/or kill kittens through my
lack of understanding and/or typos.

     Robert

Robert McWilliam     rmcw at allmail.net    www.ormiret.com

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few
of us left.
	-- Oscar Levant