[ubuntu-uk] Banshee annoyances -> was: Ubuntu spotting in Bracknell

Farran Lee fazzy.baboon at ntlworld.com
Sun Apr 5 15:15:20 BST 2009

On Sun, 2009-04-05 at 15:05 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:

> 2009/4/5 Farran Lee <fazzy.baboon at ntlworld.com>:
> > oh, does Banshee tag properly now? I know pre-v1, it only changed its
> > internal database and didn't affect the actual files...
>
> It does if you tick the box that says to save meta data to the files
> in the preferences dialog :)
>
> I found this out the hard way. I retagged loads of music, then moved
> the music to another machine only to discover my changes were lost.
>
> I asked in the #banshee channel on irc and was told to do the
> following on the first machine, the one that has the up to date
> banshee database.
>
> 0) In banshee, edit -> preferences -> general -> write metadata to
> files (tick that!)
> 1) Select all files in the library
> 2) Right click and edit track information
> 3) Change something minor like the comment field
> 4) Press the little icon to ripple that change to that field to all
> tracks (this takes a while)
> 5) Hit save.
>
> What it will then do is flush out _all_ the meta data in the database
> to the files. That way you can then move the collection to another
> location and the meta data will go with it.
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

cool thanks :) It didn't used to work though... I'm sure of it. Though I
used to run ubuntu on my laptop... it was so crap it hardly counted as a
laptop, so maybe it just couldn't work out how to write the metadata :P
The only reason I don't use Banshee atm is because of the filter box. It
doesn't work. sometimes I can type something in and it finds it. Other
times, I can be LOOKING AT the album, then I type it into the filter
(doesn't matter which field I have it set to), and it says no results
found. I haven't noticed any banshee updates recently, so I haven't
checked it out... do you have this problem with it?

Cheers :)
Farran Lee
I'm only 16 :P