[ubuntu-uk] Skype video on Ubuntu 8.04

Seif Attar iam at seifattar.net
Fri Sep 26 10:37:44 BST 2008

Hello,

Graham Smith wrote:
> Adam
>
> Thanks for the response
>

>>> When I test the video in skype, Skype shuts down. If I leave it
>>> enabled, as soon as the recipient of a call picks up. Skype
>>> disconnects (but you do see the video stream briefly)
>>>
>>>  Initially, this was a problem with a Logitech 5000, and I bought a
>>> Logitech 9000 as a recommended replacement, because it worked out of
>>> the box, but didn't.
>>>
>>> Both cameras work fine with Ekiga, Cheese etc, and Skype video worked
>>> fine (with the logitech 5000) on Ubuntu 7.
>>>
>>> I am running the latest version of Skype and I have tried the three
>>> different Medibuntu skype options.
>>>

>> If you run skype from a terminal does it give any kind of error or
>> output when it shuts down?
>>

> Running from terminal and testing the video gives this:
>
> graham at Antec-Linux:~$ skype
> Starting the process...
> Skype Xv: Xv ports available: 0
> Skype XShm: XShm support enabled
> Aborted
> graham at Antec-Linux:~$
>
> Graham

I had problems with skype video where I could only see the recipents
video and not my own in skype, after some investigation, I found out
that skype needs xv output to be enabled, do you have the right driver
for your video card? try changing the video output in
gstreamer-properties to xv. At the time the ati drivers only provided 1
xv port and that is why I could only see one video, in your case it
seems that you have none, this is just my guess :)

Peace,
Seif A.