[ubuntu-uk] Firefox3 on network

Robert McWilliam rmcw at allmail.net
Tue Sep 23 09:54:55 BST 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 06:10:17PM +0100, Mac wrote:
> Robert McWilliam wrote:
> > Do you get any error messages if you run firefox from a terminal?
>
> None:  it runs with no errors...

Helpful. I've had a quick look for how to get more debug output from
firefox and it looks like it needs recompiling firefox and knowing
enough about the internals to tell it what you want to know. If you do
want to try that there are details here:
and an NSPR_LOG_MODULES="all:2" should get you all errors, but you
might have to go for a higher number as there is an argument for this
behaviour only needing a warning rather than an error.

> Interesting that you relate it to my problem with liferea.  I'm
> beginning to think both of these difficulties are something to do with
> using samba and FAT32 (to do with permissions that don't get set
> properly because FAT32 doesn't handle them).
>
> Actually, I'm thinking of setting up a new file server, and I'm
> wondering whether to dump samba/FAT32 and just use nfs (it's a simple
> home LAN with no Windows machines).  Are there any problems or risks in
> just using nfs?

The sqlite problem with the db being on a network share is due to
problems locking the db file rather than permissions, and the sqlite
docs say that locking is broken or not implemented in most NFS
implementations, but it doesn't say which NFS implementations do or
don't work so it might be worth a try.

      Robert