[ubuntu-uk] Firefox3 on network

Mac Ammonius.Grammaticus at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 20 12:01:08 BST 2008

Michael G Fletcher wrote:

>> I've been experimenting with a single 8.04 machine running FF3.
>> Bookmarks work properly if the profile is on the machine itself.  When I
>> move the profile to the network drive, FF3 appears to run OK, but I
>> cannot add, delete or organise bookmarks - which rather defeats the
>> whole object!
>>
>>  <ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com>
>>
> This may be obvious and you covered it already, but does the machine running
> FF3 have write permission to where the bookmarks are stored on the network?

Update on this experiment:

I can run FF3 (including adding and removing bookmarks) perfectly with
the profile on a jump drive (msdos format);  but I can't get a networked
profile to handle bookmarks.  (Network drive is FAT32 accessed via
Samba;  Thunderbird profile there works perfectly.)

I am now completely stumped by this, and any suggestions would be very
welcome.

(In practice, I now know my various computers can share an FF3 profile
and bookmarks off a jump drive.  But I'd still like to understand what
the problem is with the network drive method - especially as this is the
Mozilla-recommended way of sharing a profile.  And yes, I did ask on the
forums there - no replies at all!)

Mac