[ubuntu-uk] Japanese

Roger Lancefield rlancefield at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 16:40:11 BST 2008

2008/9/11 Roger Lancefield <rlancefield at gmail.com>

> 2008/9/11 London School of Puppetry <lspinfo at gmail.com>
>
>> I have a Japanese friend staying. I have been trying to sort out my laptop
>> for her to se in her own language- we can get Japanese Kano, but the letters
>> are in the wrong places- can anyone help?
>>

> Hi Caroline,
>
> As you probably realise, you should be able to view Japanese characters
> (both Kana and Kanji) within Firefox by default. Ditto Unicode-aware
> applications such as the vim and gedit text editors.
>
> However, to be able to properly work with and edit those characters you'll
> need (I presume) to install full Japanese language support (System >
> Administration > Language Support) and then enable/configure the SCIM Input
> Method utility (System > Preferences > SCIM Input Method Setup).
>
> I say "I presume" because I haven't done any Japanese text processing on
> Ubuntu or GNOME, but I'm pretty sure these are the steps you'll need to
> take. Perhaps others here could confirm?
>
> Good luck!
>
> Roger

OK, have confirmed that the above steps work. After installing "full
language support" I had to re-boot though. A couple of additional things
that I did were to check the "Enable support to enter complex characters"
box in the Administration > Language Support menu, and I also explicitly
told SCIM that I was using an "English (UK)" keyboard (Right-click on the
SCIM icon in the notification area, choose SCIM Setup, go to FrontEnd >
Global Setup and select your keyboard layout in the drop down list at the
top of the panel).

The input editor looks very similar to that Microsoft used to use with
Windows 98 and NT4 for multi-byte input, only with more options, if memory
serves. It looks very useful indeed. Hope your friend finds it intuitive.

Here's a screenshot of some playing around with SCIM and gedit:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3019/2848701280_075da6bc8c_o.png

Regards

Roger