[ubuntu-uk] RAID failure after a couple of weeks

Michael Holloway michael at thedarkwinter.com
Mon Sep 8 12:49:24 BST 2008

> The hardware controller you mention. Does that support Ubuntu? I
> wouldn't mind buying a hardware RAID card as long as it came with some
> kind of monitoring application (so I could tell remotely if the RAID
> fell over) and it managed to come in at the sub 100 quid price...

In my experience, though mostly with IBM servers... the hardware
controllers are rock solid.

I'm running about 10-15 IBM servers and 2 HP, 1 of the IBMs is quite old
and doesn't have a hardware controller, so I installed 6.06.1 with
mdadm... about a month or two later, one of the hard drives went down in
a similar manner to what you explained. The other has been working fine
ever since, for about a year now. (It's not an important server so never
bothered fixing it).

Don't know if that means anything...