[ubuntu-uk] WTB: Ubuntu Laptop

LeeGroups mailgroups at varga.co.uk
Wed Sep 3 11:40:29 BST 2008

> <snip>  My girlfriend bought a Samsung laptop in around 2003. Nothing went wrong
> in the first year, then in years 2 & 3 a problem with the screen
> connector kept recurring, the onboard power supply socket needed
> replacing, and the *external power supply connector needed replacing* twice.
>
> *None of these were through abuse, more design flaws* (or revenue
> generating features).
> <snip>

Err, I'll have to disagree on that one, power connectors are designed to
connect power to a laptop.
NOT to withstand being dragged around the living room/bedroom/etc or be
passed from person to person.
There will always be a slight play in the connector and a year of being
'wiggled' with destroy either the plug/socket or the sockets mounting to
the motherboard/powerboard. Stick the laptop on a desk when it's being
charged and the connector will outlast the rest of the machine.

Despite being called 'laptops' this is the last place you should be
using them...