[ubuntu-uk] WTB: Ubuntu Laptop

Jai Harrison jai at jaiharrison.com
Tue Sep 2 22:52:38 BST 2008

Hey,

I've been looking at the Inspiron 1525 specs and sadly I'm not too
good with hardware. I'm under the assumption that I at least need to
pick the Intel Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5550 (an extra £90.01) to make
it into a decent machine. The Intel(R) Core™ 2 Duo Processor T8100
(2.10 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 3 MB L2 cache) isn't so much better than the
Intel Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5550 (1.83 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2
cache) as to justify an additional £70 on top, is it? I'm really not
very good at reading hardware specs :x

Then I figure I need the 3 year warranty and might as well add a
fourth year as it's only another £18 on top of the 3 years (total for
4 years warranty: £83.40). Doubling the RAM to 2GB is a decent idea
(at just £20) and then I was wondering if it's worth paying an extra
£30 for a 1440x900 resolution instead of the standard 1280x800.

I contacted a sales rep and was sad to hear that the keyboards have
Windows logos on the Super button but I figure that's to be expected
really. Anyhow, major thanks to anyone who will help me with the
hardware choices for the Inspiron 1525.

Jai