[ubuntu-uk] Google Chrome

LeeGroups mailgroups at varga.co.uk
Mon Sep 1 21:44:39 BST 2008

> What is really beginning to worry me is that there is too much choice of
> applications in the Open Source world. Instead of working to make what
> we have better and bite into bug #1 and give users a base set of
> applications they can get comfortable with and trust, we are going to
> leave maybe switchers to Linux with the mass confusion of which
> application is best and sticking with Windows.
Yes, we seem to be slipping back into the bad old days...
I remember one of my first Linux installs, a paid for box set of an
early Suse release.
5 different word processors, 6 calculators, 4 browsers, 7 text editors,
etc, etc...

It was all stupidly confusing... It was one of the first things that
struck me about Breezy...
Oh look - only one browser, only one word processor, only one editor,
only one etc etc... How very sensible...

Now, Firefox, Epiphany, Midori, Amaya, Dillo, Galeon, SeaMonkey and even
Links/Lynx and W3M... And now Chrome...
not to mention all the backend stuff like
webkit/gecko/java/javascript/SWF/etc/etc...

Makes you wonder how much could be achieved in just the browser arena,
if all that effort all pulled in the same direction.... Argh...