[ubuntu-uk] keyboards

Robert McWilliam rmcw at allmail.net
Mon Sep 1 13:50:51 BST 2008

On Mon, Sep 01, 2008 at 01:14:23PM +0100, Farran wrote:
> has anyone got any suggestions for a new keyboard?

Keyboard preferences vary dramatically from person to person so
recommendations aren't much use. I think keyboards are something where
it can be worth paying more to get one from a shop so you get to try
it out first (you can order them and send them back if you don't like
them but it only takes a couple of iterations of that for the
shipping charges to be more than the premium taken by an actual shop).
My preference is for the keyboards in thinkpads, but I haven't found a
desktop version of this yet.

Any keyboard should work for the basic functionality since the
interfaces are standardised. There can be issues with the extra
shortcut buttons as the code they send seems to be chosen at random by
manufacturers, but you can map them to what they are supposed to do
manually.

	  Robert