[ubuntu-uk] Olympia/Shows [was update failure]

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Wed Oct 22 11:35:05 BST 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 11:08 AM, Darren Mansell <darren at vcoc.co.uk> wrote:
> The newbie way to do updates is through the GUI, it should take care of
> updating the package lists before downloading packages. Using apt-get on
> the command line assumes you will use it how you want to, e.g. not updating
> the package lists unless you want to.

I was actually doing it through the GUI, I switched to command line in
order to be able to cut/paste the output in a more meaningful way....

Anyway, thanks for the help all!

So, who's off to Olympia then?

I can't make it, unfortunately -- partly financial and partly because
I am bogged down with overdue work and also need to be in Bristol on
Saturday for a meeting, so can't really see a window of opportunity
opening up between now and the weekend.

That said, I'm not sure these shows are as relevant to me as they used
to be as a punter.  I remember, years ago, discovering products at
such things but of late I tend to discover things on the internet or
by reading magazines and I suspect many other folks have had the same
experience.  When I last visited Olympia, which must have been 2005
(?) I think, I have to admit to have found it rather disappointing as
the corporates seemed to have taken over the show and the .org village
was rather dwarfed by folks selling software with licence fees in the
thousands...  will be interested to hear how this year's event turns
out to be.

Sean