[ubuntu-uk] OpenOffice 3.0 repositories for Hardy

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Tue Oct 21 14:50:22 BST 2008

2008/10/21  <ubuntu.lists at projecthugo.co.uk>:
> [quote]
> it may be a good
>>> candidate for backporting to Intrepid (and perhaps Hardy)
> [/quote]
>
> maybe hardy...... hardy should be a priority as people who have rolled out
> an LTS release who plan to stick with it for at least 2 years to maximise
> the LTS features should not be stuck with outdated software that is a big
> improvment (not saying upgrade everything).

If you want latest software, you don't want LTS.

> I don't understand why LTS release are just stuck on the back burner -
> what is the point of LTS if it's not going to be maintained and kept as
> current as possible for people investing in it.

People tend to implement LTS in order to have a stable (non changing)
platform which they can be sure wont be changing massively during the
lifecycle of the product. Introducing a whole new version of a product
part way through the cycle for an LTS release is exactly the
_opposite_ of what should be done.

Cheers,
Al.