[ubuntu-uk] Changing default settings for all users

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Wed Oct 15 14:10:55 BST 2008

Hi folks,

I'm in the process of trying to roll out Ubuntu across one of our
offices as a replacement to Windows XP.  At the moment on Windows XP we
have a standard desktop which includes desktop background, Internet
Explorer proxy settings and other tweaks.

Now rather than have the hassle of setting up each individual users
desktop when they first login I was hoping it would be possible to set a
default desktop configuration for each new user.

I just wondered if it was possible?

What I was looking at doing was setting up Ubuntu to authenticate
against the Windows 2003 Server (so I don't have to create a bunch of
individual accounts too) and have their home directories mount to their
user directory on the server.

I vaguely remember reading something about default settings in /etc/skel
but after looking in that directory I see there are just some default
files for bash.  Is it possible to put a set of default files in to
/etc/skel and is there any specific configuration files I need?

Ta,

Rob