[ubuntu-uk] Suggest a ubuntu compatible TV-CARD

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Wed Oct 15 09:08:18 BST 2008

Javad Ayaz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My previous experience with tv cards was not that great! I had a MSI
> something or other.
>
> Ive had cable installed and would like very much to save space by
> chucking out the tv and use my pc as one-in-all kind of thing.
>
> Please suggest some good value (read cheapish) tv cards that i could
> easily get going without having to run wine or anything! (most cards
> come with windows software obviously).
>
> Regards
>
> Javad

Okay it's a bit more involved than just suggesting a card.  I presume
you want a digital card rather than an analogue card?

There are various types you can get depending on how you want to receive
the digital signal.  Chances are it'll either be via Freeview (using a
standard TV aerial) or FreeSat (using a Satellite dish pointed to 28.2
degrees east - same as what Sky Digital points to).

This should help you find a supported Freeview (DVB-T) card:

http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-T_Devices

This should help you find a supported Freesat (DVB-S) card:

http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-S_Devices

and this should help you find a supported Freesat High Definition
(DVB-S2) card:

http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-S2_Devices

I would have thought _most_ Freeview TV adaptors (either USB or PCI)
would be supported.  Some require a firmware file although I believe a
few are included with Ubuntu by default.

I can't say about Satellite cards as I don't currently have one.

Hope this helps.  When you get a card you've got the exciting task of
tuning it in. :-)

Rob