[ubuntu-uk] UBUNTU Server (Was: Re: Wikipedia migrates to Ubuntu)

Andrew Oakley andrew at aoakley.com
Fri Oct 10 15:37:36 BST 2008

On 10/10/2008, Matthew Macdonald-Wallace <matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk> wrote:
> Up until now I've been using Debian Etch on my servers because I had a
> bad experience with Ubuntu Server a few years back.
> Maybe it's time to look at this again - are there any major
> differences apart from the package versions?

It seems to be just packaged *better*. I've been using LTS 6.06 and
8.04 versions on my servers. 6.06 was fine, a few dependency quibbles
but nothing like as bad as the dependency hell I suffered for years at
the hands of RH/Fedora.

8.04 is a packaging masterpiece. It is unbelievably simple to
administer from the commandline. Stuff "just works". I've not had a
single dependency issue yet, everything works straight off the bat.

Andrew Oakley andrew at aoakley.com