[ubuntu-uk] [OT] Datacentres outside London

Andrew Oakley andrew at aoakley.com
Tue Oct 7 17:11:30 BST 2008

On 07/10/2008, Matthew Macdonald-Wallace <matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk> wrote:
> I'm looking for recommendations for data centres outside of London,
> preferably close to the England/Wales border or in Wales itself.

I'd recommend against FastHosts in Gloucester, as their customer
service is abysmal.

Star Internet in Gloucester are a sister company to the MessageLabs IT
security empire and excellent. Although they have London datacentres,
you can specifically request to have your kit based in their
Gloucester Barnwood datacentre.

http://www.star.net.uk/star/home/hostingoverview.stml

I'm biased since ML are my former employers.

You might find a warm fuzzy glow from knowing that MessageLabs offices
in Gloucester host the Gloucestershire Linux User Group meetings (do
come along, next meeting 21st Oct evening), providing us with free
seminar room, free coffee and blazingly, blazingly fast free wifi
(ideal for downloading distro DVDs, and yes they really don't mind).

I have a Virtual Private Server hosted in BlueSquare in Maidenhead,
Berks. It's west of the M25, but not by much. I'm based in the
Cotswolds and connectivity has always been superb.

http://www.bluesquaredata.com/

My VPS is through CheapVPS, part of Verio:
http://www.cheapvps.co.uk/
http://www.vaserv.com/

Server, should you wish to run ping tests:
isis.aoakley.com

Sample 10 meg file stored on my server:
http://www.aoakley.com/misc/novellini-bowser-20070724-1800.3gp

The server runs Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server.