[ubuntu-uk] OT CPU Advice

Matt Jones matt at mattjones.me.uk
Sun Nov 30 20:47:56 GMT 2008

I doubt that the current CPU will work in a multi CPU system, the multi
processors were the MP versions. The best option would probably be to buy a
new board and new processor. You would probably see a jump in performance by
updating to either an Athlon X2 system, with socket AM2, or a celeron dual
core or pentium dual core. You would have to get new ram, but DDR2 can be
picked up for £10 for a gig stick.

If you wanted a dual processor system, I have a precision 470 that I bought
for £140 a couple of months ago, with 2*2.8 ghz xeons, and a gig of ram.
This absolutely flies with 64 bit ubuntu. I wouldn't go for an older model
than this, as the older models didn't have DDR2 of PCI express.

Probably not the answer that you were looking for, but it may be a
significant increase in performance and longegivity.