[ubuntu-uk] OT CPU Advice

Ian Pascoe softy.lofty.ilp at btinternet.com
Sun Nov 30 20:19:17 GMT 2008

Hi all

Somewhat OT, but I'm hoping someone here can help.

My Desktop MB is on the way out, intermittent strange behaviour, and it
being some 8 years old and well used, I'm not really that surprised.

Now, as I hate wasting money I thought I'd get myself a new MB that would
handle the current CPU, AND 1.6 GHz, and memory, but thought about going for
a dual socket CPU board instead, and buy another CPU to boost performance.

I realise that the make and clock speed of the CPU has to be the same, but
does it have to be from the same family of CPU's?  The PSU, at 350w, should
be more than capable as the only other large power draw, the graphics
system, is, by today's standards, fairly medioca, but it suits.

I should add that I'm not going to attempt this upgrade, but am going to let
the local computer shop that originally built it, do it, but I wanted to do
some research first so that I didn't get blinded by the sales pitch, or tech
talk.

Cheers

Ian