[ubuntu-uk] Purchase of camera on the high street

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Sat Nov 29 15:56:40 GMT 2008

I bought a camera today from a high street shop. We looked first in
another shop but a particular model was not in stock. However Currys
Digital did have stock.

I will never buy such things without first finding out if they can be
used with Ubuntu. Last year in another (camera) shop this had resulted
in a lost sale. I would take in a laptop with ubuntu and ask for the
camera  to be demonstrated - with ubuntu, before a final purchase
decision.

I do know the memory card could be removed and a card reader used, but
that is not the point!

I happened to have a ubuntu (8.10) bootable usb stick with me and
discussed the situation with the assistant. He spoke briefly with the
manager and got the ok to use one of the display PCs. The manager had
reservations about the alien hardware maybe not being accepted.

However it booted perfectly, and once the display model camera had a
memory card fitted, it was recognised and f-spot downloaded pictures. :-)

I was pleased that we could buy the camera we wanted. Also that the
shop began to get experience of live usb/cd ubuntu, and had seen an
example of spending power linked to ubuntu.
--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user #10391