[ubuntu-uk] Problem installing v8.04 from an imperfect 6.06 setup. Help required

Neil Greenwood neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 09:42:44 GMT 2008

2008/11/17 Louis Gidney <LouGid39 at cromer.demon.co.uk>:
> Hi Neil,
>
> Thank you for your email, in which you explain gpg.
> Aha!  Yes, sounds good to me,
>
> A couple of questions:-
> Is it in operation all the time -for example if I make a purchase
> online by credit card -or only for detecting authenticity of
> downloaded Ubuntu upgrades? Do I need to "switch it on" in
> some way; for example if I make a purchase on Amazon's website;
> ie: is it compatible with Amazon and similar vendors ?
> Also, how do I know when it is "on" ?

It's in operation all the time, you don't need to switch it on.

However, a different system is used to make online purchases safe.
This is called SSL (usually, it also has different names) and is built
into all web browsers.

It's used whenever you go to an address that starts with "https"
instead of "http". Some browsers also display a little locked padlock
icon, or change the colour of the address bar.

There are a few problems with SSL, since it only ensures that someone
trusts the people who run the website at the address you typed in (or
the link you clicked on). Some of the companies that give out
certificates of trust have been a little, uh, lax in the checks they
make! So a few spam/phishing sites now show the padlock icon and the
https address - not good!

I hope this doesn't worry you too much. Use your common sense, and
check the address bar before you enter your credit card number. There
are a few more tips at the BBC News website here:

> Another off-topic point: I've heard people say Linux is
> intrinsically more secure from viruses, etc, than Windoze.
> Can this be true?

Yes.

There are two arguments.
1. Linux is used by a small fraction of the people that use Windows,
so the criminals aren't targeting them yet.
2. Linux was always written as a networked, multi-user system, so it
has a better security model that makes it more resistant to attacks.

As with most things, the truth lies somewhere in between. There aren't
as many viruses for Linux, but you can still theoretically get one.

The effect of a virus infection is also very different between Windows
and Linux. On Windows, viruses can typically destroy the whole
operating system if they wish. On Linux, viruses tend to only be able
to destroy all the files of the user that got infected - but this
still means all your photos, music, letters, etc. The core operating
system will still be OK though, for what it's worth...

There are possibilities that a Linux virus can destroy the core
operating system too, using a bug, or making use of the 'sudo'
facility. The answer here is to keep up-to-date with the security
patches, and choose a password that is not easily guessed. Bruce
Schneier, a world-renowned security expert, suggests choosing online
passwords that are too difficult to remember, then writing them down
and keeping them in your wallet with the other bits of 'paper' you
keep safe.

The key messages:
- don't worry too much, but use your common sense
- install the security patches at least
- use a secure password
- don't use the same password everywhere.

Cofion,
Neil.