[ubuntu-uk] EeePC 900A vs Acer Aspire One

Dale Clarke dale at clardale.org
Fri Nov 14 15:29:19 GMT 2008

I have  a One 110 and have to say that now I have tweaked it using 8.10 and
the Aspire One Forum, I have an excellent little netbook.

I think the problem is that people perceive them as Laptops and that they
are certainly not. Nevertheless, if you are after a small very very light
and workable netbook I do not think there is anything better.

I do not have anything that i do not need I.e. Openoffice saved nearly 500mb
removing all of that, I use Google and Zoho office  with Goffice/Zoho and
Firefox you can use Gears to run in offline mode. Email again is via
googlemail with Greader for Rss and podcasts.

Only problem I have had is remembering this is just a Netbook as it has been
up for anything. As for SSD problems I followed the Ubuntu Aspire One tips
and have not had a lock up for a long time except for Video but as I did not
buy it for that I am happy.

I use mine mainly for when I goto bed and I can catch up on info i.e. Google
Reader/PDFs and BBC iplayer sometimes, the battery lasts two hours and wifi
and ssh have been superb in that I can access my main desktop and play or
read pdf's without burning my lap or weight training holding a normal
laptop.

I actually feel it makes a better ebook than a lot of the market so called
ebooks and its in colour. Any issues not reall,y I have no problems with the
touchpad as others it works just needs using more regularly, keyboard has
been excellent better than a ZX81 or even a QL. Screen is excellent, wifi is
better than my laptop. Must be a catch, yep sound, do not expect too much
from it, took it on holiday on the plane and could not get a higher enough
volume to hear it too well, but then again neither the ipod or zen could do
so also. Talking of zen and Ipod I now have moved them on to family members
and this is my sole MP3 and Video player and on the bus etc it gets plenty
of comment from people and still slips into my pocket admit its a big pocket
but still fits and if you need to carry it, it weighs less than a small
Mills & Boon (sorry still getting over Emilia Fox and the sex scene, I can
not watch Silent Witness in the same way ever again)...

After very considerable thought Google should of got involved with the
netbook market more as Google Apps is perfect for this type of computer,
alas I feel Google has lost the plot the last few months, which is a real
shame As I had hopes that they would do more than work out whether we are
going to get flu!!!!!

Dale