[ubuntu-uk] EeePC 900A vs Acer Aspire One

davmor2 davmor2 at davmor2.co.uk
Fri Nov 14 11:48:52 GMT 2008

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 10:57:48 +0000, Rob Beard <rob at esdelle.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Okay so all this talk of Windows free laptops got me thinking about
> plumping for a cheapo netbook to tide me over until next year when I can
> afford something a bit more powerful.
>
> Looking at Tesco's (Tesco Direct) web site at the moment they have two
> options which are in my price range (under £200).
>
> The cheapest option is the 8.9" Asus EeePC 900A N270 with 1GB Ram and an
> 8GB SSD.  It doesn't say what CPU it has (I presume it would be the
> 1.6GHz single core Atom?).  This one in white or black is £194.
>
> The next option up is the Aspire One A110L with 512MB Ram and an 8GB
> SSD.  This also mentions N270, so presumably this is the same CPU as the
> EeePC 900A?
>
> The Aspire One A110L is £198.
>
> Now I was leaning towards the Aspire One due to it having two SD card
> slots (I figured I could pop in 2 x 8GB SD cards for extra storage space
> - not that I need much anyway on a laptop/netbook).  The one thing that
> is putting me off is forking out for another 512MB memory (I wasn't sure
> how many slots they have).
>
> So I was wondering generally what they are like.  Does the battery last
> long, what are they like performance wise?
>
> I'm not expecting the same sort of performance as a Core 2 Duo but I
> could do with something speedy enough to run Java applets (LogMeIn
> remote control software) and Firefox/Thunderbird.
>
> Rob

I have the Acer Aspire One and I can't fault it.  I would recommend adding
1 gig of ram (it's about 10-20 quid you have to strip the machine down to
do it though) You need an ethernet connect till you get the backport
drivers on for the wifi to work (ath5k).  Other than tha I now use it over
my main laptop :)
--
Seek That Thy Might Know

http://www.davmor2.co.uk