[ubuntu-uk] Windows Free Laptops

gav revford at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Nov 14 07:51:26 GMT 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 06:51:55AM +0000, Sean Miller wrote:
> What's the advantage of a laptop without an OS when for about £100
> less you can go to Tesco and get one WITH an OS of a better
> specification for about £100 less and just wipe the OS off and install
> Ubuntu anyway?
>
> Don't understand why one would want to pay premium prices just to save
> having to overwrite.

It's about sending a message to the PC suppliers that we neither want nor
need Microsoft Windows.

Every PC that is sold with Windows, then has GNU/Linux installed later is,
as far as the supplier is concerned, a happy Windows customer.

If we want suppliers to know we want Ubuntu ready installed, not Windows,
then asking for Ubuntu, or OS Free, or at least Windows Free machines is
the way to get the message across.

--
Gav Ford
revford at blueyonder.co.uk
http://revford.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
I think we need to:  Bypass the plasma field