[ubuntu-uk] [marketing] Intrepid 8.10 Kubuntu - disaster

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Sun Nov 9 21:50:51 GMT 2008

Alan Pope wrote:
> 2008/11/8 alan c <aeclist at candt.waitrose.com>:
>> It seems that some problems are associated with xorg and its (now)
>> lack of visible configuration. I could usually stumble in the right
>> direction when xorg.conf was meaningful, even using vi,  but I am
>> quite lost in the current situations, with the minimal xorg.conf.
>>

> There's nothing stopping you using a "normal" populated xorg.conf on a
> recent install of Ubuntu or Kubuntu. Whilst recent Xorg can cope with
> a minimal (or even no) xorg.conf, it can also be used with a fully
> populated configured xorg.conf. You could for example take an
> xorg.conf from an earlier version of Ubuntu and use it on a recent
> version.

OK, thanks. Will be very useful I think for me personally with my
inspiron1100 laptop.

Although my main concern is newcomers who come up to the display
table, never touched linux before, heard it is wonderful and will
solve all their problems, and half expect to go away with a kubuntu
CD. For now, it is ok to give out 8.04.1 u/kubuntu, but there is
obvious interest in 8.10, and anyway the drivers  and other things may
be beneficial for a newcomer. Ubuntu 8.10 certainly is good on the
eeepc. The make bootable usb is really good - used it at the computer
fair even today to make a usb stick for a newcomer!

One customer, not a real newbie though, did say they had tried kubuntu
8.10 and wanted now to avoid it, but yet another one,  more confident
diy PC guy, quite new to linux, said he quite liked it :-) although he
did not understand it all (yet).  Which is good.
It is the less confident users who I am keeping an eye on.

--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user