[ubuntu-uk] usb boot ?

Simos Xenitellis simos.lists at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 9 12:00:47 GMT 2008

On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 11:17 AM, Andrew Jenkins <adjenkins at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ted wrote:
>> I am trying to install Ubi to a usb stick but keep getting a grub error
>> when I boot from it...I have installed Puppy Linux to a usb stick and
>> that boots ok..My question is if puppy will boot from the usb port should
>> other distros boot from it ?
>>
>> ----
>>  Regards
>>    Ted Wager
>>       High Peak UK
>>

> I have a 1Meg USB pen-drive with Mandriva One booting from it.
> Obviously the
> machine will need to be capable of booting from USB.  I can't remember how
> I did it, it was quite involved, but a quick Google on the subject was
> all I did. I
> found a very good page with lead-by-the-hand instructions that worked.

I suppose you mean 1GB pen-drive.

It all depends on the process you use to create the bootable USB disk.
If you do manually, it may or may not work.
In Ubuntu 8.04, you can install the 'liveusb' package (search
Add/Remove...), which adds a tool at System/Administration/Install
Live USB
It requires to have an Ubuntu 8.04 installation CD in the drive.

I think that in Ubuntu 8.10 there is a tool already there for the job.

Simos