[ubuntu-uk] [marketing] Intrepid 8.10 Kubuntu - disaster

Lucy lucybridges at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 15:03:09 GMT 2008

On 08/11/2008, Bruce Beardall <bruce72 at gmail.com> wrote:
> If we're to advocate Linux [and as far as this list is concerned, Ubuntu]
> should we be concentrating our advocacy on the LTS release? It's all too
> easy for anyone on this list to get carried away with the latest and
> greatest but the vast majority of those we're trying to introduce Linux to
> are used to the years between each Windows release. Should we be
> concentrating on introducing them to a release which is intended to be
> around for a number of years and expected to have a certain level of
> stability and accessibility?

Hi Bruce,

I think you bring up a very good point, that it's all too easy to get
sucked into the release cycles for distros. When advocating Linux I
think it's important to consider the audience. Introducing a friend
who enjoys discovering new things and is keen to play around and
learn, would be very different (imo) to introducing someone who just
wants to use their computer for checking their email once a week. For
the latter, sticking to the LTS releases would certainly be sensible.

Alan's also made me think more about KDE, different people have
different preferences and different ways of learning. I tend to prefer
gnome, so am more inclined to introduce people to gnome, but I think
giving them the opportunity to choose is important.

I'm sorry that Alan has had problems with Kubuntu. In defense of
Kubuntu, I've also had problems with the latest Ubuntu and I think
some of the problems he's experienced could also affect Ubuntu too.
Oddly enough though I'm quite keen to try out KDE again, to see how I
feel with it's latest changes.