[ubuntu-uk] Question about Ubuntu installed Dell Laptops....

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Wed Nov 5 18:23:20 GMT 2008

John wrote:

> What about getting somebody to buy it for me as a gift, could I get
> around import tax that way? I do have somebody who is willing to buy and
> send one to me. I already have the transformer for other stuff I have
> from the USA.

Well I haven't tried it myself, I believe it could be used as a work
around but I'd be careful, might be more hassle than it's worth,
especially considering a possible lack of warranty.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against importing, in fact I bought a
MiniDisc player/recorder cheaper from eBay in the states (well, adding
on Western Union charges back then due to no paypal account bumped the
cost up).

I'd just be a bit weary when buying something which to me would be
expensive.  I know some companies offer international warranties
(Toshiba being one) but IIRC they cost extra anyway.

> I have just joined the London group, which have a meet tonight, but they
> dont say where? The meet is in the west end, which is round the corner
> from me. I think this one is too soon to go to and ask about help, I
> might just see if I cant go to the next one.

That's good.  I'm in Devon so I wouldn't know where it is.  I'd suggest
putting a post on their mailing list if possible.  I'm sure even if you
miss the meeting they'll either have regular enough meetings or you
might be able to meet a couple of the members for a pint/Ubuntu install
session.

> As far as my laptop is concerned, its a brand new 250gig hd, that I
> bought last month, so it has very little on it apart from the Windows XP
> and Ubuntu on it. I have only just learnt how to partition, so I have no
> idea how to add a /home partition. So, as far as copying anything, I
> dont really need to, just either a reinstall or trying to get Ubuntu
> 8.10 to actually work. Would the group be able to help with installing
> the new drivers for VIA as well?

I'm sure someone from your local LUG could help.  I'd be happy to help
if you was more local to me but alas as you're in London I'm afraid all
I can really do is offer advice on the mailing list.  I'm sure some of
the folks on here though are in or around London and might be able to help?

> Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

You're welcome.  Don't give up hope, you'll get there eventually.  If I
get chance to have a look at the VIA problem I'll let you know although
at the moment I'm up to my ears in K6/2 motherboards (the wife has told
me to have a sort out!).

Rob