[ubuntu-uk] Single Ubuntu instance both bootable AND virtual?

Andrew Oakley Andrew.Oakley at hesa.ac.uk
Wed Nov 5 11:28:43 GMT 2008

I have a new PC which has Windows XP. I am already very familiar with
repartitioning/resizing and dual-booting so that I can have both XP and
Ubuntu on the same machine.

Is it possible to have the same one single Ubuntu partition bootable as
BOTH:
* Dual boot
AND
* A virtual machine within Windows XP? (using the same Ubuntu partition)

If so, how? Pointers to howtos much appreciated; my google attemps thus
far reveal only how to do the opposite (dual boot plus same XP
virtualised within Ubuntu; I want Ubuntu virtualised inside XP)

I realise this will complicate hardware drivers under Ubuntu, so for the
first stage I'm not trying to use any fancy 3D graphics nor worry about
network connectivity.

Note that this is my third machine, mainly used only for gaming. I only
boot Ubuntu on my other machines.

--
Andrew Oakley

Higher Education Statistics Agency Ltd (HESA) is a company limited by
guarantee, registered in England at 95 Promenade Cheltenham GL50 1HZ.
Registered No. 2766993. The members are Universities UK and GuildHE.
Registered Charity No. 1039709. Certified to ISO 9001 and BS 7799.

HESA Services Ltd (HSL) is a wholly owned subsidiary of HESA,
registered in England at the same address. Registered No. 3109219.