[ubuntu-uk] listening to BBC

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Tue Nov 4 13:01:04 GMT 2008

2008/11/4 Michael G Fletcher <michael at ilovemylinux.com>:
> ah yes, i see what you mean...  mine works (looks like it's through
> totem plugin), and i think the only things i did was install the
> gstreamer-plugins, good bad and ugly.

I just tested this on a fairly fresh install of Ubuntu 8.10 32-bit
(however the same thing worked on 8.04).

http://bbc.co.uk/radio4 -> click "Listen Now" in the top right.
I get a popup window containing a flash element and a streaming media
element. The flash element works with the non-free flash browser
plugin and the streaming audio works with totem.

Totem tells me it's a "WMA Version 8" audio stream at 32K mono.

This is a relatively clean install of 8.10. The only things I've done
is as follows:-

1. Follow the instructions at the medibuntu site. (medibuntu.org)
(Note this needs changing for hardy)

sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/intrepid.list
--output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring && sudo
apt-get update

2. Install a load of stuff...

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras w32codecs

That's all, and it works for me.

Cheers,
Al.