[ubuntu-uk] ubuntu 8.10

Chris Coulson chrisccoulson at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 3 16:16:29 GMT 2008

2008/11/3 Alan Pope <alan at popey.com>

> 2008/11/3 John <jakewc2 at sky.com>:
> > Hi, thank you for your message. I have posted about 3 or 4 things to
> > Launchpad, and none of them have been answered, I keep getting messages
> > saying that they have been closed due to inactivity, so you will have to
> > excuse my reluctance to post there. Its an upgrade. How can I go back to
> > 8.04, is it easy?
> >

> I see two bugs related to your ID on launchpad:-
>
> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/~jakewc2<https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/%7Ejakewc2>
>
> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/bugs/278622 - Pan closes when clicking
> on 'Other Groups'
> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/bugs/254064 - Third Party Softwares don't
> work
>
> For bug 254064 I would recommend looking through the comments in the
> bug after you commented, there seems to be a possible solution there.
>
> For bug 278622 I have updated it with information about how you can
> get a backtrace which would be useful for the developers to be able to
> debug the problem.
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

For bug 278622, it would be preferable to enable Apport and have that report
a new bug first, as opposed to providing a backtrace. There are already some
crash reports against pan, and the retracer will automatically spot if this
new crash is a duplicate of any of the existing crashers.

To enable Apport, edit /etc/default/apport and change "enabled=0" to
"enabled=1". Apport should then generate a crash report next time the
application crashes, which you will find in /var/crash.

Regards
Chris Coulson