[ubuntu-uk] more issues with 8.10

Robert Leverington robert.leverington at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 2 12:58:40 GMT 2008

Hello Alan,

Alan Pope wrote:
> I'm quite staggered that you think an entire OS release should be
> delayed for this! I personally use my CDROM drive once in a blue moon.

A lot of people still use optical media on a regular basis, for example
I use it to make inexpensive off-site backups of my Ubuntu system and
watch DVDs on my computer and laptop.

The optical disc drive is also almost essential if you want to encourage
widespread prorogation of Ubuntu as it also enables proprietary software
manufacturers (such as game developers) to sell there products for the
Linux platform in shops and reach a large audience - without the optical
disc drive the only effective distribution medium for software companies
is via the internet which does not yet reach a large enough proportion
of average consumers to make it sufficiently profitable.

Yours,
Robert Leverington.