[ubuntu-uk] Dell reply to EeePC

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Thu May 29 14:22:01 BST 2008

Quoting Mac <Ammonius.Grammaticus at googlemail.com>:

> Let's hope it comes with Ubuntu pre-installed...

> Mac

Quote from BBC's article...

"The success of the Eee PC and the rush by many companies to release
similar products has seen a recent about-turn by Microsoft.

The company has said it will extend support of its XP OS on
sub-notebooks, in an effort to thwart the growing use of Linux on such
machines.

It has also slashed the cost of a licence for XP running on netbook
machines to just $32 (£17) and £14 in developing countries."

Am I right in thinking that £14 is a lot of money in some of the
developing countries!?!

Still £14/£17 more expensive than Ubuntu ;-)

I see VIA have released CAD files and other bits and pieces for their
OpenBook which hopefully will mean lots more of these cheap little
sub-notebooks.

Rob