[ubuntu-uk] Any Xubuntu users?

Gavin Ford revford at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed May 21 13:40:21 BST 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 11:21:34AM +0100, John Levin wrote:
> Just out of curiosity (and because I'm very impressed with it), are any
> of the British Ubuntu community running the XFCE variant Xubuntu?

I use parts of Xubuntu and Ubuntu.  I installed from an Ubuntu 7.04 disc and
later removed ubuntu-desktop and installed xubuntu-desktop.

Using Fluxbox as a Window manager and the Thunar file manager from XFCE
rather than Gnome.

There are lots of good parts to XFCE, but it's still a little heavyweight for
me.  I've also never been a fan of the Start Menu setup, I prefer the right
click the desktop for a menu way.

I still use the gnome-settings-daemon rather than xfce-mcs-manager as the XFCE
tool causes strange graphical defects in Firefox for me.

Also the XFCE settings tool lacks the GTK theme colour tweaking the Gnome one
has.

If it wasn't for the weird graphical defects, I'd drop Gnome and stick with
the XFCE stuff.

These defects aren't limited to Ubuntu, I get the same with Debian, the common
feature is an Intel graphics setup so it could be a problem between the Intel X
driver and XFCE if other people aren't seeing it.

--
Gav Ford
revford at blueyonder.co.uk
http://revford.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
I think we need to:  Install the energon relay