[ubuntu-uk] Server Setup - Help Needed With Email

Andrew Oakley andrew at aoakley.com
Wed May 21 00:14:05 BST 2008

Stephen Garton wrote:
> What I would like to do is have that single POP3 account on the
> server, and the server then to share that mail out as IMAP, so that
> multiple clients can use it.

Two components:

fetchmail - gets email from POP3 (client)
dovecot - serves email out by IMAP (server)

Both on the standard repos: sudo apt-get install fetchmail dovecot

Note that fetchmail can also get email from IMAP and dovecot can also
serve email out by POP3. The point is, fetchmail to fetch the mail,
dovecot to serve it out.

http://tinyurl.com/5464y4 (Fetchmail Debian/Ubuntu tutorial)
http://fetchmail.berlios.de (Fetchmail home page)

http://www.dovecot.org (Dovecot home page)
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Dovecot (Dovecot Ubuntu tutorial)

Let me know if you have more specific questions. I don't use Fetchmail
but lots of people on this list do. I do use Dovecot to serve IMAP though.

--
Andrew Oakley