[ubuntu-uk] Godwin's law WAS (Rules)

Wolf Canis wolf.canis at googlemail.com
Sun May 18 17:02:37 BST 2008

Alan Pope wrote:
> As you've probably figured out from Godwins Law wiki page, as soon as
> you start talking about WW2/Nazis you lose the argument.

Quote from the FAQ:

                           Godwin's Law FAQ
                                  -or-
              "How to post about Nazis and get away with it"

One of the most famous pieces of Usenet trivia out there is "if you mention
Hitler or Nazis in a post, you've automatically ended whatever discussion
you were taking part in".  Known as Godwin's Law, this rule of Usenet has a
long and sordid history on the network - and is absolutely wrong.  This FAQ
is an attempt to set straight as much of the history and meaning of
Godwin's
Law as possible, and hopefully encourage users to invoke it a bit more
sparingly.  Of course, knowing Usenet, it won't do an ounce of good...

Quote end.

Full context is here:

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/legends/godwin/

> I'm not shooting at anyone. Merely pointing out that bringing up
> something as atrocious as the second world war when talking about
> top-posting really isn't appropriate in my opinion.

My comparison applies to terms "ginving up / ignorance" _not_
to top-posting. What I want point out is, that it is very dangerous
to give up only because those who does something wrong are a
majority. The majority _and_ the individual are _always_ wrong.
Right is _only_ the compromise. That's a rule that I learnt.

Have fun,
W. Canis