[ubuntu-uk] Rules

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Sun May 18 15:50:20 BST 2008

James Dalley wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> I know there was talk about a monthly info email of how to post, so here is my bug bear:
> Top Posting, I know it's sad about arguing how to argue or the like, but when people top post it's like saying hear me first
> then see whats gone on before. May be sad to some people but I like to follow a thread chronologically rather than any which way but loose.

Some thoughts:

I guess you are used to discussion lists with technical detail. Inline
comments are unworkable with top posting.  Inline commenting is also
very common in lists with detail technical discussions.

If there is no inline commenting, a sequence of messages can be made
sense of if it is consistent - all bottom posting or all top posting.
However, on many occasions the earlier messages are hardly relevant,
although a snip of irrelevant material is :-)   That is not a top or
bottom posting issue though.

Logically, it is easier to make a case for bottom posting from reading
from top to bottom on a page. However, when a message is opened up and
shows the topmost (oldest) paragraph, it can be tiresome to always
have to scroll down a long way to the most recent (single line?)
statement. I do not make a case for right or wrong here, just
different situations.

Where someone has a commitment to know the whole story and quickly
too, such as in technical support situation, it is essential for
efficiency and clarity that snips are minimal or not used, and that a
convention is complied with (bottom posting usually).

On social oriented lists the value of the moment is key, not the
detail, the current moment that is, and what has gone before is
usually (almost) ignored. So top posting works for that, and only the
top paragraph is ever seen! I find I use this approach myself for most
of my private correspondence. It was also conventional in a business
situation in the large water company I used to work in. Each message
or letter stood alone, with previous stuff at the bottom. Pretty
rigorous top posting, that.

I believe that people who are used to taking part in technical
detailed discussions will expect to use bottom posting for its value,
and also, because of (their) convention and habit, even if, on
occasions, it is not so useful.

In a list such as this one, if there is some top posting, I read this
as indicating that Ubuntu use has 'escaped' into the wild, and is
being used by those who do not make use of (many) technical discussion
lists. An indication of success!

This is a pleasant, welcoming and very useful list. Although it may be
that list rules ask somewhere for bottom posting, I do hope that we
can be as patient and understanding as possible with transgressions?
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391